Hey! It’s yet another About the Photograph page, but this one is 37% more fun.
I’m David Daniels, and that is just a boring name! I want a one-name experience like Madonna, Cher, or Bono. That’s really hard to do with David. So I spell my name dav.d (some pronounce it as dave-dot-d)
And I’m currently rocking purple hair. Although, it is slowly fading to pink.
Skills & Talents
All the marketing gurus suggested to find a niche—do what you love. Well, I love to do a lot. I get bored doing the same thing every day. And I am really good at what I do! I focus primarily on portraits, food, and wedding photography.
I don’t photograph maternity. I found the one thing I won’t photograph!
I am also learning and shooting video. I’ve been the videographer for the Salt Lake Acting Company for the last several years.
I started working with Photoshop. I was learning web design way back in 1995 when the internet came on computers. I then started upgrading cameras when I ran into limitations. My first digital camera was 1.3 megapixels in 2001. I’ve shot Nikon, Fuji, Canon, medium format film cameras, and even toy Holgas.
I’ve photographed hundreds of portrait sessions. I’ve photographed, or help photograph, scores of weddings. I’ve shot the headshots for hundreds of individuals. I have a personal goal to improve on a daily basis. I’ve photographed two cookbooks to date including one about burritos! I even did the food styling for said burrito book.
I am pretty dang good in Photoshop. I try to keep people looking natural, but looking their best. What I do to a person in Photoshop remains a secret. But here is an example of me before and after a retouch. I have a little bit of dodge and burn and some frequency separation. If you know what that is, you’re a Photoshop geek.
The world is colorful and vibrant and I try to capture it. I’m usually armed with a portable lighting kit to make the subject look their best. I’m flexible so I can create the look that suits the subject. I typically don’t fill my photographs with Instagram filters or special effects.
Check out some of my work
I love photographing people and telling their story through a simple portrait.
I fell into food photography. I’ve shot 2 cookbooks, several restaurant menus, and more.
Weddings are a money maker for photographers in Utah. From small to large weddings, it’s a couple’s one shot for an amazing day.
- Photoshop & Retouching. I’ve created hundreds of composites. I’ve retouched thousands of photos in my life. I charge by the hour.
- Product photography. Get your product photographed, retouched, knocked out on white, or a transparent background. I have a price for the shoot and a separate price for the Photoshop.
- Headshots. Everyone needs a great headshot for LinkedIn, Facebook, and even police line ups!
- Event photography. If you polled the public, this is how they first met me was during an event. I’ve been the event photographer for Utah Pride, HRC, Utah corporations, catering companies, and more.
- Landscapes. These are the photographs I put on my walls. This could also be under travel photography.
- Sports. I’m a BYU fan and I dream of being on the sidelines of a football or basketball game. I have photographed water polo, swimming, and other small sports.
- Videography & Editing. I’m still a beginner. But I have created some very cool videos so far and I will be creating more.
- And much more. You can find more portfolio galleries here. I’ll be creating a Services page soon, I hope. Contact me with questions.
Photos of dav.d
I’m one of the few photographers who enjoys his time in front of the camera. I think spending time in front of the camera helps behind the camera. Some of these are selfies, some by other photographers.
dav.d as a Stock Model
If you look through iStock you may find me on there! I’ve been a stock model a few times. I’ve played a zombie, bride, grieving father, lawyer, and more. I don’t need to be a model, I’m on the heavy side right now. I just thought it fun to share some of my modeling experience.
As a zombie, I’ve been on the cover of a calendar!